Sunday, March 4, 2018

My Name Is Venus BlackMy Name Is Venus Black by Heather Lloyd
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Thanks to NetGalley and Random House for providing me with a copy of this book to read and review.

My Name is Venus Black is a book that will stick with me for a while, I think. Venus is 13 years old when she is arrested for a crime that happens in her house. She's a character that I can connect with easily. She's a good student, a teacher's pet. Before the crime is committed she is a girl who is never in trouble. Shortly after her arrest her 7 year old brother, Leo, is kidnapped.. Leo has some mental capacity issues that aren't named in this book. Set in the early 1980s there wasn't an autistic diagnosis given to him.

This tale could be one taken from the headlines. What happens to Venus, her brother, and the rest of their family is revealed in this book bit by bit. There is cast of characters that are flawed, memorable and unique in a variety of ways.

This was a bit of a slow burn, but with a layered plot and a varied cast of characters this book was original, interesting, and thrilling.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment