Sunday, March 4, 2018

An American MarriageAn American Marriage by Tayari Jones
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is the book everyone has been talking about for the past month. It's Oprah's most recent book club selection -An American Marriage by Tayari Jones. In this story young newlyweds, Roy and Celeste, find themselves in a real life nightmare. Roy is arrested for a crime he didn't commit and their young relationship is tested beyond what either of them ever expected.

I didn't have the strong emotional connection to this book that I thought I would. It may be because of the hype that I built up my expectations for this book too much. Much of this is difficult to read in that we are viewing the worst, most painful parts of this couple's marriage. Reading about a failing relationship is nearly always uncomfortable.

I did enjoy the writing in this book. It was easy to get into the story and feel engaged. I appreciated the ending and felt that it was very realistic - much like the rest of this honest, heartbreaking tale.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment