Monday, August 28, 2017

The Lightkeeper's DaughtersThe Lightkeeper's Daughters by Jean E. Pendziwol
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Morgan is a moody, troublesome teenager. She recently got herself into trouble when she was caught spray painting a fence at a nursing home. Her penalty includes community service in the form of repainting the fence. While she's at the nursing home she meets Elizabeth, a blind woman who has a big story to tell. Elizabeth and her twin sister, Emily, grew up on Porphyry Island where her family tended to a lighthouse year round. Elizabeth was responsible for Emily who was mute. Told in alternating points of view, Morgan helps Elizabeth unravel a tale that is decades old and full of secrets.

It took me a little while to get into this book, but once the story got going it was very hard to put down. Some parts felt like they could be predictable but then the story would take a sudden turn and there would be a twist I didn't see coming. Twists were revealed through the very end of Elizabeth's story. I couldn't put the book down while I was finishing up the last couple of chapters. Fans of Kristin Hannah will enjoy this book. There is history, a layered tale, mystery, and secrets. Strong women are at the forefront of this story.

Where the author lost me was during all of the parts about the lighthouse and the lake. Yes, I realized that a lighthouse may be a big part of the story based on the title. However, these parts just didn't hold my interest. I know so little about how a lighthouse works that the parts of the story showing the day to day work and life on Porphyry Island were boring to me. Readers who grew up near a lake, boats, or a lighthouse will find more appeal than this landlocked reader did.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment