Tuesday, June 20, 2017

My Life with Bob: Flawed Heroine Keeps Book of Books, Plot EnsuesMy Life with Bob: Flawed Heroine Keeps Book of Books, Plot Ensues by Pamela Paul
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This newest book by Pamela Paul started of strong and fizzled a bit for this reader. Paul has kept a journal of sorts during the last almost 30 years. This Book of Books (or Bob) tells of her reading life which also happens to tell the story of her actual life.

There was a podcast from Book Riot a couple of years ago called Reading Lives. Host Jeff O'Neal spent about an hour with each guest asking about the books they read when they were young, how they came by books, what books they feel are underappreciated, etc. This book starts off with a similar style as Paul shares with readers what it was like growing up as a dedicated reader. (Can anyone contact Jeff O'Neal and ask him to start this podcast back up? I LOVED it and miss it completely.)

Towards the middle of the book a lot of the memoir focuses on travels abroad and early relationships. The books she read along the way are woven in, but I had hoped for more about the books à la the Reading Lives podcast and less about her world travels.

Paul's writing is engaging and though my TBR list didn't grow the way I had anticipated before I cracked this book's spine, I will be happy to seek out her book reviews in the future.

What made you become a reader? Comment below!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment