Thursday, June 8, 2017

Excavation: A MemoirExcavation: A Memoir by Wendy C. Ortiz
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This was tough for me to read. Wendy is 13 years old when she first meets Mr. Ivers, her English teacher. He's more than twice her age. And it doesn't take long for them to begin a relationship. An unhealthy relationship.

Wendy was a wild child growing up during the late 80s. Her parents divorced, her mom drank, and it would seem she was able to take any risk that could possibly be presented to a young person. I'm certain my preteen years were sheltered compared to Wendy's which may not make me the best reader for this memoir. This entire book (view spoiler) was far from informative, enjoyable, or halfway pleasant to read.

It seems Wendy Ortiz is a talented writing. Unfortunately I didn't care much for her subject matter. A relationship, particularly one that isn't very loving, is often only interesting for the two people in the relationship. I had trouble finding any interest in the relationship that was presented in these pages.

What did you think of this book? Add your comments below!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment