Thursday, May 25, 2017

4 3 2 14 3 2 1 by Paul Auster
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

This book found its way to my TBR list because of the concept. A boy, Archie Ferguson, is born but what happens in his life depends on which version of Ferguson's story is being read. This book follows what happens to four versions of Ferguson, an idea that was very intriguing for me.

I've never read any work by Paul Auster, and I enjoyed his writing from the beginning. His sentences are long but detailed, something that I both admire and found to be a drawback to this book. I loved the all-encompassing nature of this story. I generally want more, more, more about characters I like and this book delivered. However, the amount of reading time this book commanded was overwhelming, bordering on arrogance.

The one other part of the book I could have done without was the inclusion of all of the Vietnam era politics. This was by no means a main part of the book and very much of the times covered in this hefty novel, but it's not content that I enjoy as a reader. Some readers may, however, find this appealing.

Read this book for the great stories (and satisfying ending) but know that it is a long, dense time investment.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment