Monday, February 5, 2018

As Bright as HeavenAs Bright as Heaven by Susan Meissner
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved every page of this book and need to get Susan Meissner's backlist added to my library. This will be one of my favorite reads for 2018, I have no doubt. I just couldn't put it down.

The Brights are tobacco farmers. The father, Thomas, has an opportunity to move his family to Philadelphia and become an undertaker. It's a tough decision to make, but after the loss of their infant son he and his wife decide it will be a good decision for their family. This story is told from the points of view of the mother, Pauline, and their three young daughters.

I love historical fiction and that's what drew me to this story to begin with. Men are leaving to go fight overseas in the Great War. Shortly after their arrival in Philadelphia the Spanish Flu begins to kill people in unthinkable numbers. The story of this family is really what kept me turning the pages long past bedtime.

Recommended for readers who enjoy historical fiction, memorable characters, or getting lost in a great story.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment