Tuesday, September 12, 2017

The GuineveresThe Guineveres by Sarah Domet
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I picked this book up only for the title (my daughter is also named Guinevere) and knew almost nothing about the plot of this book. Luckily this worked out for me and the book was good!

Four girls named Guinevere wind up at the same convent. They each go by a different nickname - Vere, Gwen, Ginny, and Win - so there is no confusion for the reader. Each girl has experienced some loss that has caused her to arrive at the convent, and each of their stories are eventually revealed. These four isolate themselves from the other boarders, depending only on each other for friendship. The girls eventually meet four unidentified, unconscious soldiers who are brought to the convent for care and the Guineveres each become obsessed with one of them.

I thought of this story as slow at times, but that's not quite right. It lacked a lot of the edge-of-your-seat action I love in books but that wasn't needed for this story. It was really hard to put down regardless. These girls are just that - girls. A lot of their choices reflect their youth and naivety. Vere, the narrator, reflects on their childhood while also filling in the reader on how the Guineveres see their actions and choices through their adult lives. The four girls are also victims of circumstance and readers will see these girls make the best of a tough childhood.

The ending of this book was unexpected for me and probably helped me change this from a 3.5 to 4 star rating. One of the parts I like most about this book was the historical time period. The time period is never revealed but there are enough hints that readers should be able to figure it out.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment