Monday, August 14, 2017

Where the Light FallsWhere the Light Falls by Allison Pataki
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

In this historical fiction novel the French Revolution is underway. It's a terrifying time to be of noble birth or sympathetic to anyone who is found guilty of siding with the former King and Queen. People are losing their heads frequently, and it's not always easy to determine who is a friend and who is a foe.

This story follows the lives of three French citizens. Jean-Luc is a lawyer who wants to do whatever he can to help the revolution. He moves his wife and baby son to the dangerous city of Paris to be more involved. Andre' is a young soldier and is trying his hardest to remove himself from his father's legacy - a nobleman who died at the guillotine. Sophie is a widow to a man she hardly knew. She is watched over by her powerful, controlling uncle. Each of these three are strangers, but their lives become intertwined after a series of events. From the front lines of war to dark, backroom political discussions, this book will take readers through a variety of events during The Reign of Terror and beyond.

I knew so little about the French Revolution before I read this book. I probably should have brushed up on this history before I started in. This is a compelling read, but the brutal scenes of war did not appeal to me very much. I think if I had a better understanding of the history and culture of this era I would have enjoyed it more. It was interesting to see historical figures woven throughout the book, but I think this will appeal more to readers familiar with French history.

One of the coolest things about the edition I was read was the annotations from the authors. These gave a little more insight into what inspired the authors, what changed from the original story, and anything else the authors wanted to share! Need something like this in your reading life? Head over to PageHabit to get a new book, with annotations, and some bookish goods. There are a variety of genres (not just historical fiction) and each purchase helps put books into the hands of people in need all around the world.

What's your favorite book about the French Revolution?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment