Sunday, August 6, 2017

Norse MythologyNorse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I had such limited knowledge of Norse Mythology before I read this that I was blind going into this book. Seriously, nearly all of my knowledge of Thor came from my love of Adventures in Babysitting when I was little. With that being said, my struggle with this book was how to pronounce the names!

Instead of one continuous story this is made up of a collection of stories. I don't usually prefer short stories but it work wonderfully here. There is a large cast of characters and they don't all have a place in each story. The prose was so honest and matter of fact that there was a fairy tale quality to each tale. I was surprised as well as there was quite a bit of humor.

I look forward to reading more by Neil Gaiman. Hopefully this was a really good intro into his work. Readers who aren't sure if they would like fantasy or mythology would do well to give this book a try. It's quick and enjoyable.

Have you read other books by Neil Gaiman? How does this one compare?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment